Thursday, April 23, 2009

It's That Time Again

I terminated the agreement with my agent over thirty days ago, and she didn’t want to represent my most recently completed book, anyway. I compiled a list of publishers who will accept unagented submissions. I prioritized the list. I chose six who will accept simultaneous submissions to query first. I created a table of all the documents I need for the submissions, and who gets what. (Queries alone go to A,B, and C; bios go to B and D: D wants the first 100 pages; F wants the first three chapters; D, E and F want synopses, each of different lengths.)

I’ve found every conceivably justifiable reason to put off actually writing the query and the synopsis and the bio. Now I’m actually going to have to do them.

Shit.

2 comments:

pattinase (abbott) said...

It is daunting.

Dana King said...

Patti,
You're so much more polite than I
am. "Daunting" is the right word, but not the one I would have thought of. My mind works more along the lines of a common, four-word anatomical reference