Sunday, July 24, 2011

A Hale Fellow, Well Met

The Interwebs may differ whether it’s “Hail” or “Hale” and where it comes from, but it’s my blog and I know what I mean when I say it. In here, a “hale fellow, well met” is a person of generous good sprit with whom time spent is never wasted, being both entertaining and informative. Charlie Stella, for instance.

I was lucky enough to spend Saturday with Charlie, his cousin Jason, and Jason’s significant other, Allison at the Gettysburg battlefield. Conversation ranged from the Civil War to politics to writing to Tim McCarver. (Charlie is welcome to have him to run the Mets if he wants him. They can put McCarver in charge of NSA for all I care. So long as it gets him off television.)

This was the first time Charlie and I had met in the flesh. Pretty much a perfect day, though it was hotter than a bastard, not unlike the weather for the battle itself. The air-conditioned bus tour helped (the guide was well informed and personable), but the company was the key. Thanks to Charlie, Jason, and Allison for allowing me to share their day. I hope it won’t take as long to get together again.

No comments: