Monday, October 15, 2012

My Bouchercon Dance Card

Bouchercon is much more than three-and-a-half days of panels. It’s also three-and-a half days and nights in close proximity to sixteen hundred people who care passionately about something I care passionately about. I didn’t get to see everyone I’d hoped to, but those I saw made the trip memorable and have me looking forward to Albany next year. (Even though there is no host hotel. Whose idea was that?) I took notes to remember key elements of the panels; no artificial mnemonics were necessary for the people.

I’ve written flash fiction in less time than it has taken me to write this blog post; you’re reading Draft Four. Each story that comes to mind conjures up half a dozen more. Previous drafts read more like testimonials than appreciations of renewing acquaintances and making new friends. So, before I wrap myself any more tightly around the axle, I’d like to thank all of the following for making Cleveland a pleasure, even for a Pittsburgh boy:

Mike Dennis, Tim O’Mara. Anne Emery, Karen Dionne, Cindy Phillips, Jack Bludis, the sartorially indescribable Dan O’Shea (the sparkly window treatment he wore almost deserves its own mention), Chris Holm, and Robin and Keith Spano made each day a little more fun than the last.

Special thanks to Peter Rozovsky, Tim Hallinan, and John McFetridge for being so generous with their time and good company, proving there are no better, or more entertaining, people to spend time than those in the crime fiction community.

And, no offense to the others, the greatest thank you goes to The Beloved Spouse. She won’t be able to go every year, but having her there and seeing her joy at getting to meet people she’s only heard me talk about took my week to another level.

Here’s hoping everyone can get to Albany next year. Wherever we stay.

No comments: